Maine FarmLink, a program of Maine Farmland Trust, is a linking service that helps connect people who are seeking farmland “Seekers”, with farmland “Owners” (or their representatives) who are looking to sell, lease or work out non-traditional tenure arrangements, based on their respective interests, needs and goals. FarmLink works with each party to fully understand their interests and needs. Our personal contact and customized support, combined with the assistance of our program partners, has helped FarmLink to become an effective program. To date, FarmLink has made over 140 links, making it one of the most successful programs of its kind in the nation!
FarmLink is a linking service, NOT a real estate brokerage. Both “Seekers” and Farmland Owners often work with Real Estate Agents even while they are enrolled in our FarmLink program. We support and encourage these relationships.
This is a free service provided by Maine Farmland Trust. While there is no cost to enroll in Maine FarmLink, to ensure the future of the program, we encourage everyone to become members of Maine Farmland Trust. The standard individual membership cost is $30 per year. We appreciate your support as we continue our work to preserve and protect farming in Maine.
Maine FarmLink is for you IF…
- You are a farmland owner thinking about selling or leasing your land, OR
- You are seeking farmland to buy, lease or open to a non-traditional tenure arrangement.
We link farmland seekers with farmland owners who are looking to sell, lease or find some other non-traditional tenure agreement, based on their respective interests, needs and goals.
Marketing services offered through FarmLink:
Marketing your farm property will be one of the best investments you can make in your farm transfer. Today more and more buyers begin their farm search online using an internet search engine.
FarmLink will work with you to create an eye-catching visual presentation of your property, including aerial and soils maps, and photos that clearly illustrate your farm. The materials can be used on your social media page, as well as FarmLink’s, to cast a wider net and get the right information out to those seeking to buy. FarmLink offers two options:
Package #1 – $75.00*
- Aerial map
- 15 photos of your farmland and gardens, your home, barns and other infrastructure
Package #2 – $150.00*
- Aerial map
- Soils map
- 30+ photos of your farmland and gardens, your home, barns and other infrastructure
- One-Page Flyer:
- A compilation of information, photos, and maps designed to create an informative description about the land and buildings, to better promote the sale or lease of your property to interested parties. The flyer can be printed, and/or placed electronically on your social media page, as well as on Maine FarmLink’s Facebook page and the front page of our website.
For both packages, photos and maps will belong to you, can be posted on your social media pages and beyond.
* This price assumes that your farm is within 50 miles of Maine Farmland Trust’s Belfast office. Please contact Sue, firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing if your farm is beyond that distance.
Guidance and Referrals
We can help support the entire “linking” process on both sides of the equation. We can connect participants to professionals or organizations who can help with business planning, financing, production support, management training and property transfer. While we strive to be of utmost assistance to our program participants, there are instances when time does not allow for immediate assistance. We will do our best to help you in your linking process. We appreciate your understanding of the work we do and your continued support of our program.
We can also help interested farmland owners explore preservation options. Sometimes, placing an Agricultural Easement on a farm before a transfer provides significant financial benefits that help make a transition possible.
Maine Farmland Trust does offer its own farm properties for sale through its “Buy/Protect/Sell” (BPS) program. Each year a handful of vulnerable farmland properties are purchased by Maine Farmland Trust. These properties are then permanently preserved and resold (usually at farmland value) to farmers.
As always, we hope you find our site helpful and never hesitate to reach out to us if you feel we can assist you.