This page is designed to provide Maine farmers and farm owners with the information and support they need to find and successfully complete farm transfers to family members or new farmers.
To join the program you must own a farm or farmland in Maine.
- If you have a farm or farmland that you would like to find a new farmer for, please fill out the Application Form (PDF/Print) and mail it to the office or you may fill out the Online Application Form.
- If you do not own farmland in Maine, but you know of farmland that is in transition or for sale or lease, and you would like to see it transferred to a new farmer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are transferring your farm to a family member, please contact email@example.com.
Once your application is received, we will contact you for more specific information and to discuss your vision for the future of your farm.
For the Farmland Owner:
FarmLink will help you find a farmer to work the land so that your land can continue to be farmed. Contrary to popular belief, there are a large and growing number of prospective farmers who are ready, willing and able to farm in Maine. FarmLink maintains a statewide database of these farmers- one of whom may be the perfect match for your land.
FAQs for Farm Owners:
- Will I be overwhelmed with people contacting me if I enroll my property with FarmLink?
When a farmland Seeker finds a property he/she is interested in on the FarmLink list, the Seeker then contacts us. We conduct a screening to ensure your general interests are a “match”. We only put you in contact with those Seekers that you want to hear from.
- How is enrolling my property with FarmLink different from listing my property with a Realtor?
FarmLink is NOT a real estate brokerage. Rather, it is simply a program that connects farmland owners who wish to sell or lease their properties with potential buyers or leasees. We do work with real estate agents to assist in the sale.NOTE: Landowners who wish to list with a Realtor may still want to enroll in FarmLink. There is no downside to doing this. It may help sell your property —and it will increase the likelihood that your property is sold to someone who wants to farm it.
- When should a farmland owner use FarmLink?
If you are selling farmland and would like to see your land bought by someone who will farm it, we strongly recommend that you enroll in FarmLink. FarmLink is specifically targeting buyers who want to farm. Sometimes landowners choose to list with FarmLink for several months before listing with a Real Estate Agent; but many list their property on FarmLink and with a Real Estate Agent at the same time. However, if you are thinking of leasing (as opposed to selling) farmland, FarmLink is often the only option for systematically connecting with farmers.
- Is there a cost to enroll a property?
While there is no cost to enroll in FarmLink, to ensure the future of the program, we encourage anyone who uses the services to become a member of Maine Farmland Trust. The standard individual membership cost is $30/year.