For the farmland seeker:
Maine FarmLink may be able to help guide you towards the farm you are looking for. And we can provide the resources and info (or point you to a Program Partner or Companion Program) to help you succeed in your land search.
To join the program, you must have a minimum of three years of agricultural experience. If you are not an experienced farmer, please view our Additional Resources and contact: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Program Services and Benefits for Farmland Seekers:
- Access to the FarmLink Database, Resource List, and all other farming resources on this site and at the Maine Farmland Trust office.
- Search support from the FarmLink office and partnering organizations, including one-on-one assistance from FarmLink.
If you are an experienced farmer:
1. Fill out the Electronic Farmland Seeker Form
While there is no cost to enroll in Maine FarmLink, to ensure the future of the program, we encourage anyone who uses the services to become a member of Maine Farmland Trust. The standard individual membership cost is $30/year.
2. Once your application is received, processed and approved (verifying your farming background, financial capabilities, etc) we will assign you a password to access the searchable Maine FarmLink database.
> That is all you have to do!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is FarmLink a good way for me to find affordable farmland? Possibly. FarmLink is a service that can inform you of farmland owners and their farmland that is available to buy or lease. FarmLink may also be able to link farmers who are open to working out some creative non-traditional tenure situations. The state-wide list of farmers and their lands encompasses reasonably priced properties and some that are beyond the budget of most people seeking farmland. FarmLink has no control over the prices of any of the properties (except for those properties owned by Maine Farmland Trust). Prices are set (and negotiated) by the land owners and/or their representatives.
- Once I’m enrolled as a Seeker, what will happen next? As a Seeker, you will receive a password enabling you to search FarmLink’s database of properties. Maine FarmLink, at times, will contact you directly if they feel a particular situation may fit your needs.
- What happens if I find a property I’m interested in? You should contact FarmLink to discuss the opportunity in greater detail. From there, we will help determine the next step, usually this means contacting the farmland owner. IF the farmland owner is interested, we will then put the two of you in touch with each other directly. From that point on all contacts, negotiations and details of the property transfer will be between you and the owner or their representative.
- How do I enroll as a Seeker? To enroll you must complete an application detailing what kind of farm you are looking for (size, location, intended use, etc.). The application also contains questions about your previous farm experience, which may be important to owners of farmland you are interested in.
- Do I need farm experience to become a Seeker? We advise people to only enroll as a Seeker if they are serious about farming. We require three years of farming experience. However, if you are not an experienced farmer, please get in touch with us, as we will point you in the right direction and to other professionals who can hlep you in your search.
- Is there a cost to enroll as a Seeker? There is no cost to enroll in the Maine FarmLink program; however, to help ensure the future of the program, we encourage anyone who uses the services to become a member of Maine Farmland Trust. The standard individual membership cost is $30/year.
- Additional questions? Contact email@example.com